- 2019-09-16 On 16 September at 8.45 a.m., the Minister Linas Linkevičius meets with the Armenian Foreign Minister
- 2019-09-16 On 16 September at 10.00 a.m., the Minister Linas Linkevičius attends a ministers’ meeting
- 2019-09-16 On 16 September at 12.05 noon, the Minister Linas Linkevičius has a lunch with the Armenian Foreign Minister
- 2019-09-16 On 16 September at 1.30 p.m., the Minister Linas Linkevičius attends a meeting of the Lithuanian State Defence Council
- 2019-09-16 On 16 September, the Vice-Minister Albinas Zananavičius attends a meeting of the General Affairs Council in Brussels
Lithuanian representative elected as Chair of Meeting of States Parties to Convention for Protection of All Persons from Enforced Disappearance
On 25 June, the Permanent Representative of Lithuania to the United Nations, Ambassador Audra Plepytė was elected as Chair of the fifth Meeting of States parties to the Convention for the Protection of All Persons from Enforced Disappearance. A. Plepytė is the first representative of the Eastern European Group to chair the meeting of the States Parties to the Convention after its entry into force in 2010.
In the Convention, "enforced disappearance" is defined as the arrest, detention, abduction or any other form of deprivation of liberty by agents of the State or by persons or groups of persons acting with the authorisation, support or acquiescence of the State, followed by a refusal to acknowledge the deprivation of liberty or by concealment of the fate or whereabouts of the disappeared person, which place such a person outside the protection of the law.
5 new independent experts from Spain, Peru, France, Senegal, and Germany were elected to the Committee on Enforced Disappearances (CED) for the period 2019-2023. CED is the body that monitors the implementation of the Convention by its States Parties, examines reports by all States Parties, addresses their concerns, and gives recommendations to the States Parties in the form of concluding observations.
The Convention for the Protection of All Persons from Enforced Disappearance has been ratified by 60 contracting states. Lithuania ratified the Convention in 2013.