- 2019-01-22 to 2019-01-24 On 22-24 January, the Minister Linas Linkevičius is visiting Egypt
- 2019-01-23 to 2019-01-26 On 23-26 January, the Vice-Minister Darius Skusevičius is visiting London
- 2019-01-23 On 23 January at 1:00 p.m., the Vice-Minister Neris Germanas is taking part in a Government sitting and meeting
- 2019-01-25 On 25 January at 9:00 a.m., the Minister Linas Linkevičius is participating in the annual conference “Quo Vadis, Europe?”
- 2019-01-25 On 25 January at 11:00 a.m., the Minister Linas Linkevičius is giving a welcome speech at a conference on the occasion of the International Holocaust Remembrance Day
Lithuania and Brazil sign an intergovernmental agreement on the transfer of convicts
The Intergovernmental Agreement on the Transfer of Sentenced Persons was signed at a bilateral meeting between the Minister of Foreign Affairs of Lithuania Linas Linkevičius and the Brazilian Foreign Minister Aloysio Nunes Ferreira on 26 September in New York, U.S.A. The meeting was organized at the margins of the 73rd Session of the UN General Assembly, which was attended by Lithuania’s Foreign Minister.
This agreement is a very important document for Lithuania and Brazil, which attaches meaning to bilateral cooperation and assistance in the field of criminal justice and the countries‘ mutual respect for the principles of human rights. The agreement will allow for a closer cooperation between the Ministries of Justice of Lithuania and Brazil in all areas related to the transfer of convicted persons.
The bilateral ministerial meeting also addressed relevant issues of mutual relations, the EU-Latin America relationship, cooperation within the UN and other international organizations.
Minister L. Linkevičius stressed the importance of bilateral political, economic, cultural and social ties between Lithuania and Brazil. Both Foreign Ministers welcomed activities of the largest Brazilian-based Lithuanian community in Latin America, which extremely actively contributed to the development of cultural relations between Lithuania and Brazil, and promoted Lithuania's name in Brazil.
Diplomatic relations between Lithuania and Brazil were established in 1931. They were re-established in 1991. In 2013, Lithuania opened its Consulate General in São Paulo. Lithuania has its Honorary Consulates in São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro.
Photo by Artir Max/AIG-MRE