- 2018-12-10 On 10 December, the Minister Linas Linkevičius and the Political Director Asta Skaisgirytė are participating in the EU Foreign Affairs Council meetings in Brussels
- 2018-12-10 On 10 December at 8:00 a.m., the Minister Linas Linkevičius is participating in the EU Foreign Ministers‘ meeting with the President of the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) Peter Maurer
- 2018-12-11 On 11 December at 10:00 a.m., the Minister Linas Linkevičius is attending a meeting at the Seimas
- 2018-12-11 On 11 December, the Vice-Minister Darius Skusevičius is participating in the 10th Assembly of the Eastern Partnership Civil Society Forum in Tbilisi
- 2018-12-11 On 11 December, the Vice-Minister Albinas Zananvičius is participating in the General Affairs Council (Art. 50) in Brussels
L. Linkevičius: "The World Trade Organization is an alternative to trade wars"
On 20 November, the Minister of Foreign Affairs of Lithuania Linas Linkevičius met the Director-General of the World Trade Organization (WTO) Roberto Azevêdo, who is currently visiting Lithuania, and discussed the key issues of international trade policy.
"We must use the World Trade Organization as a platform to resolve international trade disputes through negotiation without escalating trade wars," said Lithuania‘s Foreign Minister.
According to the Foreign Minister, Lithuania fully supports a stable and open international trading system. Rules stablished by the WTO are a guarantor of this system, as well as an effective supervision of their implementation. To this end, it is important to modernize the organization, update the rules and mechanisms for their implementation.
Underlying causes of current trade disputes include state subsidies and unfair competition. Therefore, the WTO should mainly focus on addressing these issues. Lithuanian producers suffer significantly from Russia's dual energy pricing. Lithuania is actively involved in the drafting of EU proposals aimed at maintaining the WTO dispute settlement system and reforming the rules.
The WTO Director-General is visiting Lithuania for the first time. R. Azevêdo came to take part in an international high-level trade policy conference “Global Trade – what is in it for us?” at the National Gallery of Art on 20 November. The conference is organized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Lithuania at the National Gallery of Art.