- 2019-02-22 to 2019-02-23 On 22-23 February, the Minister Linas Linkevičius visits Germany
- 2019-02-23 On 23 February at 12:30 p.m., the Minister Linas Linkevičius visits the Lithuanian High School in Germany Hüttenfeld
- 2019-02-23 On 23 February at 1:30 p.m., the Minister Linas Linkevičius meets with Honorary Consuls of Lithuania in Germany
- 2019-02-23 On 23 February at 2:45 p.m., the Minister Linas Linkevičius attends an event at the Lithuanian High School in Germany Hüttenfeld
- 2019-02-24 to 2019-02-25 On 24-25 February, the Minister Linas Linkevičius participates in the EU-League of Arab States (LAS) summit in Sharm El-Sheikh
Chancellor attends meeting of Secretaries of State of EU Foreign Ministries in Bucharest
On 6-7 December, the Chancellor of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Lithuania Jūratė Raguckienė participated in a meeting of Secretaries of State (Chancellors) from the Ministries of Foreign Affairs of the European Union. Priorities of Romania's upcoming Presidency of the Council of the EU were presented during the meeting.
The country will pay heed to dialogues with citizens, meeting expectations and appropriate communication of the EU decisions, and to their impact on everyday life. It was agreed that member states would work together to negotiate the new financial perspective, to strengthen the single market, to ensure that joint action to counter hybrid threats and disinformation is implemented, and to address migration challenges.
The agenda for transatlantic relations was also discussed. The United States remains a strategic partner of the EU. In this context, it is important to properly design communication without leading to unnecessary tension in today's society. Participants of the meeting agreed that a strong transatlantic relationship and compatibility with NATO remained a guarantor of security. The EU initiatives in the field of security and defense are timely and relevant. However, it is important that they create additional capabilities. They must not compete with NATO, must not duplicate NATO.
The meeting of Secretaries of State of the EU Foreign Ministries is traditionally held in a country that will hold the Presidency of the Council of the EU during the next 6-month period. Romania will take over the Presidency of the Council of the EU from Austria, starting from 1 January 2019.